Sunday, March 7, 2010

Op Shops, a decorators heaven

Lately I've been spending a lot of time reading the blog of Lady Melbourne. I particularly liked how she buys most of her cloths from op shops and still manages to look fabulous. I'd always just assumed that people who shopped at op shops were a bit "quirky" and not terribly fashion concious, but Phoebe Montague (Lady Melbourne) smashed that stero type for me.

So over the weekend I decided to check out my local Salvos Store. I pilfered through the racks of cloths trying to find something i could see myself in, but alas i could find nothing. To be honest, i've tried op-shopping before and found my self to be a bit useless at it.

Just as I had given up and was deciding to leave, I thought I'd take a quick look in the Bric-a-brac section of the store. It was then that I saw the bright glowing light of opportunity that I'm sure is similar to the one that shines for Lady Melbourne when she enters one of these stores. I seemed to have stumbled upon and un-tapped treasure of home decor items that got me so excited. sure they were all muddled together and displayed in an un-orderly fashion, but easch item had a beauty and purpose of its own.

In the end I purchased several items; 2 vases and 1 tea light holder. One of the vases was hand made glass, which normally retails for around $75, the other vase was Maxwell Williams RRP $30 and the tea light holder would normally retail for $15. And all were in perfect condition.

So how much did I pay? $9 for the glass vase, $7 for the Maxwell Williams Vase and $6 for the tea light. All together I made a saving of around $98!








2 comments:

  1. I agree, op-shops are a never ending source of great things, but persistence is key. You'll often find nothing. I guess I am lucky as I like retro home decor which is something that people simply love getting rid of! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lady melbourne too, her blog has encouraged me to search through anything and everything! I just need my sewing machine so I can customise my finds =P

    ReplyDelete